Real Estate Transaction Attorney
LaSalle is looking for an experienced real estate attorney to sit in our Chicago office and support LaSalle’s U.S. transactions team responsible for acquiring and selling client real estate assets. This is a newly created position which will be responsible for working with LaSalle’s externally appointed counsel to timely and efficiently close deals and to ensure the deal structure and terms sourced by LaSalle’s transaction teams are accurately reflected in the transaction documents. The successful candidate is expected to add immediate value to the deal teams by assuming many transactional responsibilities currently allocated to LaSalle’s transaction team members and provide experience, leadership and strategic planning to optimize over time LaSalle’s deal closing process. This role will be a great fit for individuals who enjoy collaborative, engaging and dynamic environments, possess a strong work ethic, are comfortable working without oversight.
Primary responsibilities are expected to comprise the following:
- Partner with outside counsel to negotiate legal documents associated with the real estate transaction process (e.g. purchase and sale agreements, letters of intent, joint venture agreements, loan documents, SNDAs) while working collaboratively with transaction officers to ensure that agreed upon business terms are accurately reflected in the documents
- Provide guidance and support in structuring strategic partnerships and complicated transactions including minority interests with foreign and domestic capital sources
- Work with internal stakeholders, cultivate a panel of law firms and to select appropriate external counsel for each transaction, and monitor and assess law firm performance to enhance productivity
- Collaborate with LaSalle internal teams such as risk management, tax, accounting, and compliance to ensure templates, forms and deal documents incorporate required terms
- Assist in lease reviews and file audits during the acquisition pursuit process.
- Partner with the LaSalle’s asset management team on third party service contracts and large capital projects that require formal agreements with contractors
- Collaborate with LaSalle’s debt capital markets leader on the review and negotiation of financing documents and provide guidance on structuring of the financing vehicles
- 10+ years of broad experience working on complex real estate transactions broad experience in transactional real estate required, including acquisitions, sales, leasing, (including ground leases and sale-leaseback), condominiums/HOAs, development, construction and sophisticated financing
- Significant portion of a law career based in mid or large-size law firms
- Some experience working in-house is preferred
- Illinois law license
- Documented history working with retail, industrial, office and other niche asset classes (single family portfolios, self-storage, medical)
- Comfortable and strong familiarity using technology as an integral component of the daily work activities, including third party document management systems