Portfolio Associate, Custom Accounts
LaSalle Americas has an opportunity for a Portfolio Associate for our Custom Accounts group (”CA”). CA currently consists of eight primary separate accounts comprising $9B of core, value add and opportunistic real estate assets in the US. CA currently has four Portfolio Managers (“PMs”) who, under direction from the Head of US Custom Accounts, actively manage client portfolios providing a high level of customer service and attractive risk-adjusted returns with an aim to consistently outperform relevant benchmarks.
Reporting directly to the Head of US Custom Accounts (“HCA”), the Portfolio Associate will work closely with the PMs on all activities related to the management and execution of CA’s strategy, including helping to deliver consistently strong investment performance and managing risks for the various separate account clients.
Investment Strategy and Performance
- Working with the PMs and HCA, set and implement investment strategy for the portfolios consistent with client objectives regarding risk management, target returns, cash and debt management.
- Deliver investment performance that exceeds the respective client benchmarks.
- Support all aspects of managing the portfolios, including ensuring that all portfolio and asset-level decisions further the achievement of target returns.
Portfolio Strategic/Financial Plan
- Prepare cash flow forecasts for CA that address the sources and amount of capital required for the successful operation of the separate accounts, including capital required for new investments (under control and speculative), NOI, capital expenditures, dispositions, and distributions.
- Ensure that the separate accounts’ capital structures anticipate capital requirements and positions the accounts to take advantage of market opportunities.
- Work with the team Single Point of Contact (“SPOC”) to ensure CA issues, concerns and objectives are addressed and implemented in the digital technology initiative. Help position CA to be a tech leader in the industry. Stay abreast of new prop tech and be proactive recommending implementation of tools and strategies to enhance performance.
Acquisitions / Dispositions / Financing transactions
- Assist PMs and HCA in working with the Transactions Group on acquisitions, dispositions and financings for CA.
- Collaborate with Research, the PMs and HCA on property and portfolio level analyses.
- Communicate effectively the targeted investment characteristics relative to new investments, e.g. desired property-sector and geographic weightings and income and total return profiles.
- Evaluate each transaction to determine how the investment is expected to impact account performance.
- Work with the Transactions Group to create Investment Team and Investment Committee memos and to usher through the proper approval processes within LaSalle, the client and lenders, as necessary.
- Think creatively about financing structures, co-investment capital, JV partnerships, and other strategies that help invest dry powder efficiently to enhance/drive returns.
- Assist PMs in providing leadership, guidance and direction to the Portfolio Associates.
- Work with PMs and Portfolio Associates, to create, review and approve asset level strategic plans on an annual basis.
- Participate in Investment Team and Investment Committee meetings as needed.
- Communicate regularly with the asset managers relative to asset level strategic plan initiatives and budgets.
- Review items that require PM and/or client approval, e.g. unbudgeted leases and capital expenses.
- Create/review hold/sell analyses and recommend assets for disposition incorporating client objectives and property and market level considerations.
- Participate in quarterly valuations process with asset management and sector teams.
- Review debt valuations, monitor covenant status and help to manage lender and mortgage broker relationships.
- Act as second point of contact for certain client relationships over time.
- Review and comment on client communications including quarterly reports, investor presentations, business plans, budgets, etc.
- Act as product advocate for CA internally and take an active role in select client presentations.
- Work to improve the quality and effectiveness of CA’s marketing materials.
- In conjunction with the Investor Relations, Accounting and the PMs, provide responses to RFP’s and other requests from clients, prospects and consultants.
- Participate in presentations to potential clients and consultants as appropriate
- Assist PM team and Investor Relations in exploring new capital sources.
- BA or BS degree; MBA preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of real estate experience, ideally in acquisitions, asset management and/or portfolio management.
- Well-developed financial and analytical skills.
- Good written and oral skills to effectively communicate with clients and consultants externally, and colleagues internally.
- Strong interpersonal and managerial skills in order to effectively collaborate with different disciplines within LaSalle.