Paralegal – Fund Formation (Maternity Cover)
Company: LaSalle Investment Management (“LaSalle”)
Job Title: Paralegal – Fund Formation (Maternity Cover)
Team Overview: The primary responsibility of this role will be to support the Global Fund Formation team, which is led by the Global Funds Counsel, together with one Legal Counsel. This team is responsible for all legal aspects of the fund raising life-cycle (from concept, to marketing, structuring, documentation and closing) of a number of existing and new LaSalle products, including strategic partnerships, structured products, clubs and funds, the underlying investment of which is direct real estate, real estate securities, other real estate funds, or loans secured against real estate.
Role and Accountabilities:
The successful candidate will work in very close consultation and on a daily basis with LaSalle’s Client Capital Group (“CCG”), various portfolio managers across LaSalle’s global business who are responsible for managing the relevant products, and other members of the Legal and Compliance team around the world.
This successful candidate is also expected to work closely with regional in-house counsel and tax advisors, LaSalle’s finance teams and LaSalle’s Luxembourg AIFM team. The role would be expected to appeal to candidates with a strong interest in developing “hands-on” legal experience in a dynamic financial services environment that specialises in real estate investment. More specifically, the role will include the following matters.
Marketing of Funds
- Assisting with providing advice to CCG and others involved in marketing products with respect to cross-border marketing activities. Includes researching specific jurisdictional rules and liaising with local counsel in order to recommend appropriate marketing strategies.
- Working with CCG and LaSalle internal compliance teams with respect to review and approval of marketing materials.
- Tracking and monitoring global registration/passporting of products.
- Maintaining database of advice received in relation to specific jurisdictions and issues.
Fund Formation and Investor Negotiations
- Project management of fund structuring and fund-raising projects, including management of external counsel, tracking legal spend, preparation and maintenance of structure charts and assisting with closings and MFN processes.
- Occasional review and/or assistance with drafting of legal and commercial documents, including AIFM and advisory agreements and subscription agreements.
- Working with CCG to populate and maintain fund datarooms.
General Team Support
- Ownership of precedent documents, terms and disclaimers.
- Assisting with preparation and maintenance of internal policies and procedures.
- Assisting with knowledge management of resources and data used by the Global Fund Formation team.
- Assistance with such other projects as may be handled by the Global Fund Formation team from time to time.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Law degree or equivalent.
- At least two years’ experience of working in-house for an investment manager, or within an international law firm.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills.
- Good IT skills.
- Working knowledge of the regulatory framework relating to investment management, in particular the marketing of investment products (especially AIFMD in the EU) is preferred.
- Collaborative with, and inclusive of, both senior and junior colleagues.
- Prepared to work on competing LaSalle products in different jurisdictions and time zones for demanding internal clients.
- LaSalle also values candidates with the following characteristics and skills:
- Organised, methodical, pro-active and able to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Able to build good working relationships with business and legal colleagues.
- Ability to explain the broad policies behind cross-border marketing rules and legal positions, whilst also understanding the detailed rules.
- Ability to identify where LaSalle systems and procedures can be enhanced having regard to good business practices and develop solutions to these in a manner which is collegiate and adaptive to the way the business works.
- Collegiate and team-based approach to problem solving and delivering to the business.
- Strong desire to learn and develop.
LaSalle is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community