Compliance Officer, Paris
Company: LaSalle Investment Management
Job Title: Compliance Officer
Department: Legal & Compliance
Team Overview: The successful candidate will report to the RCCI (Head of Compliance and Internal Control) and will be a member of the wider European Legal and Compliance team comprising over fifteen legal and compliance professionals in LaSalle’s London, Paris, Munich and Luxembourg offices. The team is led by the European General Counsel based in London. A key objective of the Legal & Compliance team is to work in partnership with the business teams and senior management in each LaSalle office and the broader LaSalle platform to implement compliance policies in a manner that is proportionate, consistent and adaptive to the needs of the business, whilst mitigating material risks that arise in connection with compliance driven matters. This is a newly created role arising due to increased regulatory requirements.
Role and Accountabilities: The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for implementing and giving effect to LaSalle’s internal control functions and assisting the RCCI with broader compliance issues relevant to LaSalle’s European business. The candidate will also be expected work closely with a broad group of business colleagues (eg fund managers, asset managers, finance teams and senior management) to ensure that compliance matters are suitably incorporated into the business. The role would be expected to appeal to candidates looking to either (a) move out of an audit specific role; or (b) those with a strong interest in developing “hands-on” compliance experience in a dynamic financial services environment that specialises in real estate investment. More specifically, the role will include the following matters.
- Together with the RCCI, develop, maintain and enhance/improve the internal control framework to ensure that it is suitable for the business and operates efficiently
- Develop a new set of template control forms
- Implement the permanent internal control plan (with a particular emphasis on the monitoring of compliance by the firm’s employees of their compliance related obligations) under the RCCI supervision
- Prepare periodical and annual reports with respect to the internal controls
- Report findings to the RCCI and the business
- Communicate findings to the teams, propose improvements having regard to existing business structures and requirements, and ensure follow-up
- Discuss and share practices relating to internal control system with other LaSalle offices.
Compliance and internal control framework:
- Participate to internal committees relevant to internal control such as the Compliance and Internal Control committee
- Ensure certain reporting via GECO database (e.g. RAC reports)
- Help maintaining compliance and internal control tools up to date
- Participate in creating and updating procedures and especially the paragraphs relating to compliance and to the regulation, having regard to the nature of LaSalle’s business
- Help updating cartographies relating to compliance such as AML and conflicts of interest
- Review the KYC in respect of deal counterparties and maintain the process up to date
- Review certain commercial documentation (presentation, press releases, investor reports, social media announcements etc.)
- Assist the RCCI in providing training on compliance and internal control
- Assist the RCCI on any specific subjects (ex, risk, remuneration, license update etc).
Team and Reporting Lines:
- The role will report to the Paris based RCCI.
- As a member of the European Legal & Compliance team the role will also be expected to work very closely with the European Head of Compliance (based in London) and the French Counsel for France (based in Luxembourg).
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Background and Experience:
- Business school, university degree (BAC+4/5 in finance, compliance or audit)
- AMF certification is a good to have
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in compliance or internal control (e.g. consulting firm, audit firm, management company)
- French as a mother tongue
- Experience in investment funds, preferably real estate
- Good knowledge and understanding of applicable local and pan-European regulations (eg AIFM rules, Code Monétaire et Financier, Réglement Général de l’AMF etc;)
- Fluent and confident in English, ability to communicate verbally and in writing with non-French speakers.
LaSalle also values:
- Organized, methodical, pro-active and able to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Able to build good working relationships with business and compliance colleagues
- Ability to explain the broad policies behind compliance rules, whilst also understanding the detailed rules
- Ability to identify where LaSalle systems and procedures can be enhanced having regard to good compliance practices and develop solutions to these in a manner which is collegiate and adoptive to the way the business works
- Collegiate and team-based approach to problem solving and delivering to the business
- Strong desire to learn and develop
LaSalle is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community