Chief Compliance Officer, Counsel
Description of Role
To serve as the Chief Compliance Officer and Counsel of LaSalle Investment Management, Inc., a real estate investment advisory firm registered with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission dedicated to investing private equity funds in real estate and real estate related investments. The CCO role reports to the Americas General Counsel and will play a key leadership role in the firm. The lawyer fulfilling the role of the CCO will be expected to provide end-to-end compliance oversight of the compliance program, and in doing so will partner with the firm’s senior executives to ensure the firm’s compliance program remains robust and functional. The real estate industry is experiencing a technological revolution and as such, the successful candidate will need to be a quick learner, intellectually curious and comfortable with understanding data systems and information flows. The applicant should also be a self-starter, capable of balancing risk, speed and accuracy to address complex problems. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential given the breadth of the business and the complexity of the role.
The candidate will also be required to possess a law degree from a top-tier law school, and in addition to the CCO responsibilities, will be expected to provide legal and regulatory advice to the firm’s internal clients, which would include advising on client contract provisions, negotiating contracts and responding to requests to assist on client correspondence.
Key Responsibilities and Skill Sets
- Strong knowledge of the following:
- Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- Private equity industry
- Working knowledge of the following:
- Securities Act of 1933
- Investment Company Act of 1940
- Institutional real estate investment industry
- Developing and enforcing appropriate policies and procedures for the firm to ensure compliance with applicable securities laws and regulations
- Completing and filing all Investment Adviser related SEC-filings, including Form ADV and Form PF
- Perform compliance-based audits on the advisory businesses
- Conduct internal training and information sessions
- Prepare and present compliance program to external clients
- Work with client teams on marketing reviews
- Identify risks and conflicts in current business structure and as new initiatives arise
- Leverage and manage existing technology solutions to fulfill compliance responsibilities
- Identify new technology solutions to facilitate and implement legal and compliance initiatives; manage organizational structure sufficiently to successfully implement the compliance program
- Advise and counsel internal clients with respect to operational, compliance and legal issues, as well as contract interpretation and implementation
- Provide legal review of and negotiate third party general commercial contracts
- Research issues and document position as needed to support advice and conclusions on issues
- Manage legal issues connected with LaSalle’s private equity funds
- Employ strategic use of outside counsel when required, and oversee their work
- Liaise with external clients on due diligence inquiries and general contract related requirements and participate in presentations on the Firm’s compliance and legal structure and programs
Skills and Qualifications
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state
- 5+ years law firm or in-house experience supporting and advising registered investment advisors, preferably those with a private equity arm.
- Experience with and understanding of the types of commercial agreements that are generally seen in a securities-regulated business
- Ability to work closely with and across business units, and effectively communicate guidance both in written and through face to face interactions
- Very strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills essential
- Able to critically assess complex issues and conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative solutions
- Able to work independently, but within a team environment
- Able to provide counsel as part of a business or project team
KEY COMPANY STATISTICS
- 40 Years of Real Estate Investment Experience
- $68.4B Assets Under Management
- Operates inf 17 countries
- 750+ employees across the globe
- 24 Offices
Factors making this opportunity attractive
- This is a perfect opportunity to leverage large law, private equity experience to work for an industry leader with a collaborative, entrepreneurial culture and an outstanding work-life balance.
- Interface regularly with a global team of highly qualified legal and compliance professionals and contribute to multi-jurisdictional initiatives.
- Serve as a strategic advisor to the Office of the General Counsel and business executives for a broad mix of projects in a growth-oriented environment.
- LaSalle named one of the 'Best Places to Work in Money Management' by Pensions & Investments for the third consecutive year (2016-2018).
- Have the support of LaSalle's sister company, JLL, which was named to the Fortune 500 in 2015 and currently sits at 183.
- Enjoy the pace and variety associated with an active acquisition and growth portfolio focused both in the US and abroad: Lasalle acquired numerous organizations in 2019 alone.
- Sustainability is a major focus: Lasalle implements best practice ESG and tailors them to each country, property, sector, and market.
LaSalle Investment Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.