AIFM Legal Officer
Company: LaSalle Investment Management (“LaSalle”)
Job Title: AIFM Legal Officer
Department: AIFM - Legal and Compliance
Overview: LaSalle’s AIFM is regulated by the CSSF and acts as the “portfolio manager” and “risk manager” of a number of LaSalle sponsored funds that target a diverse range of strategies in respect of real estate investments in Europe, the Americas and the Asia Pacific. The AIFM currently has twelve funds under management with a total AUM exceeding €5.6b (which amount AUM is expected to grow substantially over the next few years has the AIFM has an active and growing pipeline of new funds from all three LaSalle regions). LaSalle sponsored fund’s range in strategy from core to value add, to securities and fund of funds.
LaSalle’s unregulated business largely provides financial, administrative, and legal services to certain unregulated funds and SPV’s for our suite sponsored products. LaSalle’s Luxembourg platform is considered a priority business of LaSalle and LaSalle is focused on ensuring that the business is properly resourced with talented people able to meet the commercial and legal demands of its internal and external clients, whilst also meeting the regulatory requirements of Luxembourg law and the expectations of the CSSF and the AED. The AIFM’s business has grown significantly in the last 24 months and this as well as further forecast growth.
The wider Luxembourg office comprises approximately 24 staff and this is forecast to grow over the short term. This role will sit in the Luxembourg AIFM team, which currently consists of 9 employees and 3 conducting officers. The position will also seat in within the Legal and Compliance team and will report to Ghizlane Gryp, conducting officer of the AIFM but will work closely with the other AIFM conducting officers and the Luxembourg legal department.
Role and Accountabilities:
- Support the administration of a Luxembourg registered alternative investment fund management company (AIFM) regulated by the CSSF.
- Being responsible for the corporate governance of the AIFM: organise and prepare agendas and papers for AIFM board meetings and annual general meetings (AGMs) and organise and draft the related minutes in accordance to the regulatory requirements and the fund documentation.
- Upload of information on share points for depositary/auditors, managers.
- Get involved in informal meeting to be organised by the AIFM officers with conducting officer / AIFM team and follow up on action points that should be ratified at the board level;
- Handle requests and recommendations of the various AIFM team members to ensure the process is organised in line with the regulatory/governance requirements.
- Maintain and update the AIFM policies in accordance to the rules applicable from time to time.
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers, such as lawyers and auditors.
- Develop and oversee the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes, in addition to its legal and statutory requirements.
- Prepare basic legal and corporate documents such as intercompany loans, articles of incorporation and preparation of general correspondence for the funds under management and the AIFM (knowledge of hybrid loan instruments such as PECS, CPECS, YPECS is a strong asset).
- Filing of documents, record keeping (ensuring that corporate files contain all the required documentation) and maintain an accurate company and funds database.
- Participate in regulatory projects with the L&C team and more specifically assist the AIFM team in Luxembourg on regulatory matters.
- Review of the contracts (including engagement letters) to be entered by the AIFM on its own or on behalf of the funds under management from a regulatory/corporate perspective.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum 2/3 years’ experience in a law firm and/or reputable asset management firm, working in investment funds and/or regulatory matters related to AIFMD and other regulation relevant to investment funds and/or corporate departments;
- Minimum of master’s degree in law;
- Knowledge of compliance related laws and regulations is a strong asset;
- Good verbal and written communication skills in French and English.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Attention to detail and a well-organised approach to work.
- The ability to prioritise work and to work well under pressure.
- Teamworking skills.
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information.
- Experience in regulatory governance.
LaSalle is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community